The Three Key Skills of Remote Leadership:
- Communicate well in (small chunks of) writing
- Manage the flow of information
- Enable knowledge to grow over time
The Three Levels of Remote Collaboration
- Online Office - we're simulating familiar patterns of interaction using online tools.
- NoStandups - high-quality collaboration happens without the need for frequent status and planning meetings.
- Network Effects - nurturing a densely interconnected web of useful bricks leads to an explosion of new possibilities.
The tweetstorm that captured some of my early thinking: Don't just simulate the office online. Build towards a truly distributed collaborative knowledge work system.